Watching the Youtube video “Place-Based Learning: Using Your Location as a Classroom” by Edutopia, the video explains multiple benefits to this learning approach.
- Students get engaged and excited to learn in the outdoors
- It connects students to the real world
- Serves as a tool. Whether it is in the city, near a river or by a forest.
- Shows seasonal changes. (animals, plants, weather)
- Students don’t recognize how much they are learning
- Is cross curricular and can be easily integrated with First Nations culture.
- Shows kids the impact that they can make
Get Smart provides the diagram of all the ways that Place-Based Education can impact learning:
What is Placed Based Education and Why Does it Matter? By Get Smart. http://www.gettingsmart.com/2017/02/what-is-place-based-education/